Directly after the war the USGCCG with its Air Division provided the air navigation services for its forces in the US-Zone, such as the 2. TAF of the RAF did in the British zone. The same happened in the soviet zone with the SMAD and in the French zone with the 1. CATAG.
After the inauguration of the military governments these organizational structures remained until 1949. That means, all civil airlines, whether belonging to the victorious powers or not, had to submit their applications on flight permits to these organizations. As of 1949 the allied high commission established its joint allied CAB in Wiesbaden in conjunction with the foundation of the FRG, with this CAB now fulfilling these functions for all civil aviation matters within the three western zones.
In 1951, the new German ministry for transport (MoT), with the approval of the high commission (HICOM), established the preparatory unit for the planned German Federal Administration for Air Navigation Services (BFS). The preliminary committee for the coordination of aviation matters - PACC of the western allies informed the German government on the preconditions to be met for the establishment of a federal administration for air navigation.
The FRG under chancellor Adenauer accepted all the conditions, and the law on BFS could be passed in March 1953. However, the CAB for civil matters and the PACC for military matters, remained as supervisory organs of the high commission over BFS and as approval bodies of the three allies vis-a-vis BFS and the ministry for transport. This situation changed in May 1955 with the regaining of limited sovereignty in aviation matters, based on the general agreement of 1952 with its reservation on rights and duties of the victorious powers as laid down in the Potsdam agreement of 1945.
Now the CAB exercises its supervision only until the FRG is allowed to join the International Civil Aviation Organization. In 1956 the FRG became ICAOs 66th member. However, the PACC for the coordination of aviation matters between the ministries of transport and defense, the stationary forces and BFS, remains. Years later it will be changed into a permanent council for aviation matters - SAL.
In 1955 the Federal Armed Forces (Bw) were set up and in 1956 the new German Air Force (GAF) was established. But for air navigation in general, only the BFS remained as the appropriate authority. Its tasks on aerodrome and approach control at the German military airfields had been delegated to the units stationed there per agreement between the two ministries. However, BFS remains solely responsible for area control.
The Development of Air Navigation in West Germany after 1945
Vol 2, The first ten years - when nobody knew Air Traffic Control (ATC) existed
Grayscale Print: https://www.amazon.de/dp/1537020463
Colour Print: https://www.amazon.de/dp/1537020420